Friday, July 13, 2012

The House of Mirth Book 1, Chapter 15

The House of Mirth
Edith Wharton

The scene where Lily asks Aunt Peniston to help her with her debts is very interesting because I really expected her aunt to take care of things, or at least give her suggestions as to how she can take care of her serious debts.  However, I am glad that Aunt Peniston refused to help Lily with her debt to Trenor because she should never have made the deal with him, but I cannot relate because I've never been in a position where I need to be so involved in society.  And then Rosedale walked in.  I never really liked Rosedale because he is so annoying, pushy, and into Lily's business.  Lily definitely should have let her aunt or a maid answer the door in case it was Rosedale, Trenor, or someone else with whom she did not wish to speak.  I guess I should have known that Rosedale would make an appearance here or soon because he was present at various important scenes in the novel, and he had money which is still what Lily desires.  I'm annoyed with her persistence with attaining wealth and maintaining her status (which is seemingly deteriorating) in society because if I were in her shoes, I would choose love over money, Selden over a Rosedale.  However, I do appreciate Lily's means of refusing him, and I think she still has some hope for Selden and love because Rosedale has all the money she would need and she still rejects him.  She uncharacteristically sounds humble and non-conceited when she says, "I have been careless about money, and have worried about my bills.  But I should be selfish and ungrateful if I made that a reason for accepting all you offer, with no better return to make than the desire to be free from my anxieties" (Wharton, page 145).  This actually sounds nice; normally, I think Lily is too focused on her goals to stop and think about others' feelings.  Maybe, she will mature and give up her goals of wealth in exchange for love.......probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment