Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The House of Mirth Book 1, Chapters 13 and 14

The House of Mirth
Edith Wharton

"I did play a trick on you; I own up to it; but if you think I'm ashamed you're mistaken.  Lord knows I've been patient enough--I've hung round and looked like an ass.  And all the while you were letting a lot of other fellows make up to you..." (Wharton, page 117).
      Gus Trenor is such a creeper!  Okay, well, it's not like he tried anything with Lily when she went over to his house, but it is 1905 and Edith Wharton could never have written about anything too forward.  It is a lot different than a modern book where this scene definitely would not have ended so innocently as this one did.  When Gus told Lily that his wife was not home, I was actually a little scared for Lily, then I remembered that nothing too bad could happen in a novel written so early, and obviously she was not physically injured.  Regardless, he was still creepy and forward for the time.  I think that this scene is a little unrealistic because Gus talks like he loves Lily and demands attention from her, yet he didn't really do anything about it (not that I wanted him too, obviously).
      I'm still a little confused about whether or not Lily borrowed money from Gus, or just "investment tips," and I think he should be upset because she ignores him in public and does not spend time with him.  But seriously, what did Lily expect when she made the deal with Trenor?  Did she think that he would take it lightly and let her borrow nearly $9,000 without repayment...uhhhh, reality check Miss Bart

No comments:

Post a Comment