Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Great Gatsby Chapter 3

The Great Gatsby
F. Scott Fitzgerald

I really liked the third chapter of the novel because it went in-depth into one of Gatsby's famous, extravagant parties.  One of my favorite lines from this scene is where Jordan says "And I like large parties.  They're so intimate.  At small parties there isn't any privacy" (Fitzgerald, page 49).  I absolutely love this contradiction!  At first, it doesn't make much sense, and then I read it again and fully understood what Jordan was getting at.  At large parties, people are able to separate into smaller, more intimate groups and can discuss certain topics or perform certain acts.  But at smaller parties, everyone is in the same place, and no one gets any privacy.  I have been to both types of parties and must say that I agree with Jordan Baker on this one.  I enjoy being able to mingle with different people and get some privacy, which is seemingly impossible at a small, intimate party.
      I also really like how Nick comes up with nicknames for various party-goers.  On page 44, he refers to three men as "Mr. Mumbles" and the man from the library as "Owl Eyes" (Fitzgerald, page 54).  Both references give a little insight into how he views the world and seems to make fun of many aspects of the party. I'm a huge fan of The Office, so of course I thought of a Michael Scott moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment