Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Great Gatsby Chapter 7

The Great Gatsby
F. Scott Fitzgerald

I just read a book last week called Maid to Match which was actually pretty good, considering I just grabbed it of a shelf at random at the library.  It is about a maid who wants to upgrade her position in the household to ladies' maid, but she meets a male servant who is new to the house and quickly falls in love with him (but that's not really relevant to this novel).
      When I read chapter 7 of The Great Gatsby, I thought of this book because all of the servants in it are very close and loyal, like Gatsby's new servants would be.  I know it's a little ridiculous to fire an entire household of workers, but I do understand why he did it.  He wanted to be sure no word of his affair with Daisy Buchanan reached the ears of anyone, much less Tom--who knows what he would have done if he heard of if from anyone but Daisy.
       The major scene in chapter 7 was the little dinner at the Buchanans' house that Gatsby, Jordan, and Nick were invited to.  A common description during this part was "hot," which reminded me of pretty much this entire summer which was really hot, considering we live in INDIANA.  Numerous records were broken this summer for extreme temperatures.  I love this description of the heat: "The straw seats of the car hovered on the edge of combustion; the woman next to me perspired delicately for a while into her white shirtwaist, as her newspaper dampened under her fingers, lapsed despairingly into deep heat with a desolate cry" (Fitzgerald, page 115).  I also loved how Daisy passionately kissed Jay right in front of Nick and Jordan because she was so forward for the 1920's and so irrational with love that she just didn't care.  I also felt a little sad for Gatsby because "he didn't really believe in its [Daisy's child's] existence before" (Fitzgerald, page 117), and a child would just further complicate any break-up (what he wants to happen).

No comments:

Post a Comment