Thursday, November 1, 2012

I felt a Funeral, in my Brain

"I felt a Funeral, in my Brain"
Emily Dickinson

The first thing I noticed about this poem was the comma in the first line.  It is not necessary in that context, and I think that Dickinson included it to add a description to the funeral, almost as if it were an afterthought.  I also noticed that she capitalized some weird words that are not normally emphasized--"Mourners to and fro" (Dickinson, page 776).  They immediately catch the reader and draw attention to those specific images.  Imagery is the most dominant aspect of rhetoric in the poem, and it specifically includes imagery for most of the senses.  I think I missed the purpose of the poem because I cannot get past the surface details of a funeral.  I guess it could be describing her mental state, which is probably more accurate according to her other poems of the similar nature.  Actually, I think it's more of the stages of her mental depreciation.  A funeral is very mournful, which implies that she is obviously facing some sort of departure from her surroundings/acquaintances.  I also think that the end represents either her mental death or the low-point in her mental health.  And the last word and its structure are also very important because it is like an unfinished thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment