Thursday, November 1, 2012

Much Madness is divinest Sense


"Much Madness is divinest Sense"
Emily Dickinson

The first time I read that poem, I honestly had no idea what she was talking about, so I'll start out with what struck me.  The structure was very interesting because nearly every line ended with a dash mark, which could either separate two different thoughts or unite two others.  I think that in this poem, they break up thoughts instead of periods, possibly to mimic her erratic thoughts.  She also uses a contradiction, "Much Sense--the starkest Madness" (Dickinson, page 830), which makes a good point.  Too much sense could lead to madness because the person could drive himself crazy with too-intelligent thoughts.  The "Assent" and "Demur" parts were also very interesting because they gave comments directly to the "majority" who heard her point of view.  I'm also confused as to what exactly a "Chain" is, and how would she "handle" people with it?  I guess that after reviewing it several times, I do understand the main point of the poem.  Dickinson thinks that the divinest sense is madness, and too much sense is also madness.  I also think she is implying that she has a "discerning eye" because she presents that point of view regarding Sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment