Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Eveline

Eveline
James Joyce

This story was very annoying and I really did not enjoy it at all because Eveline made me mad.  I did not relate well with her because I wanted to run away with him, and he's not even real...  But seriously, her reasons for staying did not make sense and I was pretty mad at her.  However, by reviewing the beginning of the story, I realize that she really loved her home and all the little things that made it "Home!" (Joyce, page 218).  She then describes the hardships in her life, including the many struggles with her father.  And in the beginning, she talked about Frank as if she were definitely going away with him.  However, by the end she started reconsidering and changed her mind.  Number six in the book was an interesting question, and I believe that she did not make a conscience decision to abandon Frank.  I think she just knew that she didn't want to and couldn't bring herself to leave what she had always known as home.  Also, she must have had reservations about Frank or else she would have gone away with him right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment