Wednesday, January 9, 2013

How I Met My Husband

How I Met My Husband
Alice Munro

I really enjoyed this piece, mainly because I knew that she would not end up with Chris Watters, but I kept expecting her to.  The structure Munro utilized created suspense and allowed me to forget that there would be a major twist in the plot.  The second question in the book asks how the plot creates suspense.  The first part of the story, the description of the plane's arrival, creates suspense because we do not know who the pilot is, but I did think that that would be Edie's [first] love interest.  Also, the drawn-out descriptions of her home-life and the Peebleses create suspense because they leave the audience thinking about their importance  to the story of Edie's meeting her husband.  Alice Kelling's arrival on the scene creates suspense because we don't know much about their relationship and wonder if there's any truth to her "fiancee" claim.  The scene which creates the most suspense is the "intimate" (Munro, page 144) scene between Edie and Watters.  The audience really doesn't know if she was going to go further and have sex with him, and that greatly adds to the suspense because if she would have gone all the way, then Chris would have probably stayed with her and possibly become her husband.
      I really enjoyed this story because it was funny and entertaining, but I was thoroughly upset with the ending because the mailman was cute and I wish we could have seen more of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment