Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Othello Act V

Othello
William Shakespeare

Finally, some action!...  As with all tragedies, there were many deaths in this final scene, but I must say that I was expecting at least one death to occur within the first half of the play.
Lines 294-295 explain the irony of the situation by claiming Othello to be an "honorable murderer," which seems to be a paradox.  Usually, people who kill other people are seen to have no honor because they don't have respect for life, but really it applies in this situation as Othello killed Desdemona in order to preserve his, and possibly, her honor.  Obviously, I don't think he should have killed either one of them, but the title is fitting in his case.
I am glad that Othello learned that Des had not been unfaithful because I would have been furious if he had died without that important knowledge.  Maybe, he wouldn't have even died yet if he hadn't found out.  I think he would have been able to convince others that she deserved what happened, and I don't think they would have had a problem with it.  That doesn't matter now that he killed himself, but I just wanted to say I was glad he learned the truth.  Too often in tragedies the protagonists die without even knowing the truth...
And no, I don't think Iago deserves the title of Greatest Villain of all Time because he did not murder hundreds of people, as other villains have done.  However, I believe praise is in order for his amazing ability to deceive others and manipulate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment