Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Othello

Othello
William Shakespeare

I want to spend my last post covering the change between Act I Othello and Othello at the end of the play.  In the first Act, he is calm, rational, and even tempered when dealing with difficulties and problems.  He had also proven himself in his accomplishments in certain battles and in how he treated his wife, whom he loved.  When Barbantio freaks about his daughter's having married the Moor, Othello remains level headed and calmly asks for Desdemona's explanation.  I loved that scene because their love was evident and felt by both (at the time).  Of course, Iago had to come around and  screw everything up, and Othello was never the same.  By the final Act, things have changed dramatically, and Othello behaves viscously and murders the woman he had once loved so dearly.  "Killing myself, to die upon a kiss" (V.ii.359) ends his life and explains his sorrow for having murdered his love.
Obviously, I have many theories as to Iago's motives throughout the entire play, and I heard Mr. Litz claim that Iago is gay, which would actually make a lot of sense.  In Shakespeare's time, I'm sure no one openly spoke about it, so it makes sense that Iago wouldn't either, and he does seem to be after the men who would be the ones more likely to judge him.  Maybe, he was secretly attracted to Othello...  Anyway, he did come up with the story of Cassio kissing him and putting his thigh on his while sleeping, so I dont know...

No comments:

Post a Comment